Xeriscaping or xerogardening refer to landscaping and gardening in ways that reduce or eliminate the need for supplemental water from irrigation. It is promoted in regions that do not have easily accessible, plentiful, or reliable supplies of fresh water, and is gaining acceptance in other areas as climate patterns shift and water sustainability is a concern.
Some advantages of having LawnPro Landscapes design and install a xeriscape garden are:
- Lowers consumption of imported or ground water.
- More water available for other domestic, community uses and the environment.
- Less time and work needed for maintenance effort (no lawns to cut).
- Xeriscape plants in appropriate planting design, and soil grading and mulching, takes full advantage of rainfall retention.
- When water restrictions are implemented, by municipality or water costs, xeriscape plants will tend to survive and thrive, while more ornamental plants may be unable to adapt.
- Can be visually more interesting than lawns.